Cross-Institutional Sharing of RPG Courses of RPG Students
(Spring Term 2020-2021)
In order to enhance the opportunities of research
postgraduate students to have access to courses and expertise at
sister institutions in Hong Kong, the Heads of University Committee
(HUCOM) have endorsed a report on collaboration of research postgraduate
programs of UGC institutions. The eight local institutions that are
offering research postgraduate programs have agreed that research
postgraduate students may enroll in courses at sister institutions.
This scheme was launched in September 2003.
The participating institutions are :
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- City University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Baptist University
- The Education University of Hong Kong
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- Lingnan University
- The University of Hong Kong
Guidelines of RPG course
- Registered research postgraduate students of UGC
institutions are eligible to apply for participation in the
- A student can only apply to attend the listed courses that
are directly relevant to his field of study. Application must
be submitted to the host institution through the home
institution by the prescribed deadline set by the host
- Acceptance of the student is at the discretion of the host
institution and is subject to availability, student quota and
other pertinent factors of the courses.
- Students admitted to study at a sister institution will be
officially registered for the courses at the host institution,
and are required to participate fully in the course, including
completion of coursework and examinations.
- Students will not be issued the student identity card of
HKUST. A confirmation letter will be issued for identification
purpose in class or during examination.
- Grades will be given to students at the end of the courses,
and a transcript will be sent to the students’ home institution
by HKUST. Students may also apply for a transcript according to
the University's procedures.
- The decision as how the grades should be used is at the sole
discretion of the home institution.
- Applications to audit PG courses at HKUST under this scheme
will not be accepted.
- Students from other UGC institutions who have enrolled for
postgraduate courses offered by HKUST should comply with all the
prevailing academic regulations governing postgraduate studies
of the University. Students should familiarize themselves with
these academic regulations. For details, please refer to the
Regulations of the University. Special attention
should be paid to the sections on academic regulations governing postgraduate studies.
‘Home’ institution refers to the institution
in which MPhil/PhD program a student is enrolled and ‘host’
institution refers to the institution which courses a student will
travel to take.
Courses Offered by HKUST (Students
can only apply for taking courses listed here)
Class Schedule of HKUST Courses
Important Dates of Spring
Term 2020-21 of HKUST *
|25 January 2021
|1 February 2021
||Spring term commences
|3 March 2021
||Deadline for dropping PG
|8 May 2021
||Last day of Spring term
|15-28 May 2021
||Spring term examination
The regular add/drop period of postgraduate
courses for Spring term 2020-21 is 1 February - 17 February 2021.
* The above dates may vary due to special
arrangement of certain courses. Please refer to the relevant
information specific to these courses.
After the add/drop period, requests to
withdraw from courses will not be considered unless the
withdrawal is due to extenuating circumstances beyond the
control of the student. Students wishing to request for course
withdrawal after the add/drop period will be required to provide
the University with full justification for making the
application. The request should also be submitted to HKUST via
the student’s home institution. The Office of the Provost of
HKUST is the approval authority for course withdrawal requests.
Once the approval is given, the Withdrawal
without Penalty Grade 'W' is recorded as the course grade.
Please refer to the
Regulations for details of academic regulations of the University.
The final examination timetable of Fall
term and Spring term will be announced in mid-October and mid-March
respectively. Please check
the final examination information including timetable and guidelines
around that time. Special notification will also be sent to
students’ email accounts that are provided at the time of
Students receive a grade in each course in which they are enrolled.
Grades range in equal increments from A+ to F (i.e. A+, A, A-, B+,
B, B-, C+, C or F). The Pass, Ungraded (P) grade is given only for
courses that are indicated in the course description that they will
be graded as such.
Registration for HKUST courses
- Study the relevant information in relation to the
collaboration scheme and academic regulations of HKUST.
- Download and complete the application form ‘Application for
Inter-institutional Course Registration for Research
Postgraduate Students’ (RR-41).
- Consult appropriate personnel of home institution and seek
approval. The completed application form with appropriate
approval should be submitted to the coordinating office
(Graduate School or Academic Registry) of home institution on or
before 25 January 2021.
- The approved form should reach Academic Registry of HKUST within 5 working days.
- The student will be notified of the application result via
email directly by HKUST before commencement of classes.
Application Form for
taking HKUST courses – Please download
For Information and
1381, Academic Building
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Kowloon, Hong Kong